Thursday, June 12, 2008

Can you feel it?

Oh yeah...Loving Day. I just love that story. I mean could they have had a better name? Sigh. Well yeah, I know, I'm not the worlds biggest proponent of ANY marriage, but I think it is a personal choice you should be allowed to make (oh STOP it, I'm joking...mostly). But I wanted to take a moment first to say, I tried yesterday to post a few THOUGHTS about Loving Day but Blogger ate my post, so I ended up quickly just posting the nice little blurb my friend Becky gave me. Not even with the way cool picture of Mr. & Mrs. Loving.

The reason I had no time is...well...if you haven't heard, we've had a little rain here in Central Iowa. I was out filling sand bags with my coworkers for fun, just in case we had a repeat of what happened in 1993. Luckily, so far, that has been just busy work. And hey, I have something new to add to my resume (although I don't think my impatient boss will be giving me any recommendations based on my skills in this area.) Anyway, I just wanted to take a minute to remind you that the battle that Mildred and Richard Loving fought in 1967, the year before my birth, made lots of happy couples whom I adore possible today (not to mention, assisted in making possible two little people whom I love desperately). I also wanted to remind you that there are many of our fellow citizens out there who are desperate to marry someone (don't ask me why!) and it is not legal for them to do so. Don't let the battle end with the Lovings.

So that's my soap-box portion of the evening. I would like to tell you that my day was all kinds of Love Thursday magic, but that wasn't in the cards for me, so instead I'll leave you with Elton John...because I've had this song stuck in my head for days.

2 comments:

Valentina said...

Glad you and your family are ok.

The storms/tornados are all over the news here in California.

I agree Loving Day is a pretty special day. It feels even more relevant in light of Obama's nomination. I feel like I can look at my daughter (in theory anyway :)) and imagine endless possibilities for her.

TexasPeach said...

I'm glad you are all OK too. Those storms were so bad. We haven't had any here in Austin like that for a long time.

I think Loving Day is a great idea too. Thanks for sharing that video. Lion King was my youngest daughter's (now 22) fave movie and I listened to that song over and over and I still love it.

By the way...I found you through Barb!!

Yes, I did.


QuitMeter Counter courtesy of www.quitmeter.com.